Sunday, August 30, 2009

Short Story episode two

I drive home a little unsettled at the strangeness of the event which has just occurred. I wonder if that oil vending woman was just crazy. Still, the meeting was unusual enough to become an unforgettable memory. I pull into the Driveway of my home and head inside. "I'm home Vanessa."
"Hello John." Vanessa said with a smile.
"Well don't you look gorgeous. Are you planning on going out?"
"Nope, I just like to look nice for you John. How was your party with Harold."
"He complained that there wasn't any alcohol."
"Well don't mind him. Just forget the stress of today and come and eat the dinner I prepared, I kept it warm."
I don't mind her attentiveness, the way she is always waiting to greet me the moment I come home, with her makeup on and looking beautiful just for me, yet it seems a bit excessive some days. She wasn't always like she is now.
"How are the kids?"
"They are asleep."
"I wish work didn't take up so much of my time."
"They understand honey. They still think of you as a good father."
"I hope so. I know how hard it was for me to grow up without my father."
"This is different though. Your father passed away when you were young. You are still here for your children."
I give a little nod. I am tired.
"Come to bed, you look tired."
I want to but I take some time to write letters to my children. It is sad that my work requires so much time that I can't even find time to be with my children. That is going to change. That has to change. I will delegate more of my work out, I just need the right people, I need to find the people with the right attitude. I finally go to bed and close my eyes and comfortably drift to sleep.

"This Oil here will help you fulfill your purpose in life Mr. McCasey." The lady said her voice colder than when we first met. A touch of anger lined her accent. I close the door on my car.
"How?"
"Fate has given us these oils. Fate can work through these oils. Fate can communicate through some of them. If you would spread the oil of communication on your cheek, your mind would begin to vibrate in sync with the cosmos and you would be able to truly understand the message I bring to you."
"You are lying to me." I shake my head. "Those oils are just like a placebo if anything."
"You are wrong Mr. McCasey, you could be the tool of much good in this world. It is sad that you pass up such an opportunity. There are many truths in the world yet so very few have ever found all of the important truths."
"I am not passing anything up except some psychotic drug induced fantasy."
"Tsk.. Tsk.. Mr. McCasey. I am sure glad there are other worthy candidates who will do the good in this world which you refuse to do."
"What other candidates, huh. Who would go along with your crazy plan?"
"Soon enough you will find out."
She takes out a small brown bottle.
"This is your last chance Mr. McCasey. This is your final warning. I suppose that if you still refuse then fate may still grant you favor. However this is your last to chance to choose the part of a king rather than a pawn."
"I will never choose your madness."
"OOOhhh. Tsk... Tsk.. Mr. McCasey, use the word never carefully. Well then you shall be a pawn, if you choose to be such before the last day. Don't choose too late." she uncorks the little bottle and turns it over upon herself. The contents poured down on her and she slowly begins to grow and to change into a great snarling beast. I watched in horror but my feet wont move. I looked down and I am slowly being sucked into the ground. The Beast laughs and jabs at me with a spear. My blood pours down upon the ground into which I am slowly sinking. Inch by inch my body becomes paralysed. I scream but no one could hear. Eventually my mouth dries, I am helpless. I vomit. The beast laughs again and as the ground is up to my neck.
"Too Late..." The beast says then raises a foot...

I wake up with a jerk. I feel cold. Sweat pours down my face. I am wet all over. My heart pounds. I check the clock, I have only slept a few hours.
"Honey are you alright?" Vanessa mumbles.
Breathing heavily I try to reply, "It's nothing dear.."
I try to go back to bed but I am worried I might have that dream again.

No comments:

Post a Comment